Recipe: ITALIAN VENETIANS COOKIES
- •1 Can almond paste
- •1 ½ Cups soft butter
- •1 Cup sugar
- •4 Eggs, separated
- •1 Teaspoon almond extract
- •2 Cups flour
- •¼ Teaspoon salt
- •10 Drops green food coloring
- •8 Drops red food coloring
- •1 Jar apricot preserves
- •5 Ounces semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Grease three 9x13x2 inch baking pans, line with wax paper and grease paper.
- Break up paste in a bowl with fork. Add butter, sugar, yolks and extract. Cream with mixer. Beat in the flour and salt.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form Fold into the almond mixture. Remove 1 ½ Cups of the batter and spread evenly into one of the prepared pans.
- Remove another 1 ½ cups and place in a small bowl; add the green food coloring to this bowl. Blend in coloring and spread into the second prepared pan.
- Add the red food coloring to the remaining batter. Blend in the color and spread batter into the third pan.
- Bake each pan in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the edges become slightly brown.
- When baked, turn immediately our on wire rack to cool and remove wax paper.
- When cold place pink layer on a tray. Heat preserves and strain. Spread half of strained preserves on top of the pink cake.
- Top with the yellow layer and spread remaining strained preserves over top. Cover with green layer.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Weigh cake down with heavy cutting board (or something similar) and refrigerate overnight.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Trim cake edges even. Cut cake crosswise into 1 inch strips. Frost pink and green sides of strips with the chocolate. Set on side until chocolate gets firm. Cut strips into smaller pieces.
Preparation time: 45 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 24
Culinary tradition: Italian