Recipe: Grandma’s Old Fashion Italian Zucchini Fritters
- 6 eggs
- 3 zucchinis, shredded
- ½ cup diced canned tomatoes, drained well
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl with a wire whisk until smooth. Stir in the shredded and diced zucchini, and diced tomatoes then season with salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and basil. Add the flour a little at a time, stirring between additions until no dry lumps remain.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Drop the batter into the hot oil by the spoonful a few at a time making sure not to overcrowd the oil. Cook until the fritters are golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined wire rack before serving.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 25
Culinary tradition: Italian